CORWITH TOWNSHIP, Mich. - Craig Roberts died on November 15 at his deer camp, the apparent victim of accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

A news release from the Michigan State Police (MSP) Gaylord Post said the Hayes Township man was found dead in a travel trailer in a remote area of the Pigeon River Forest.

Troopers and personnel from the Vanderbilt-Corwith Fire/Rescue and the Otsego County EMS/Rescue responded to a call around 1:15 p.m. from an Otsego County Road Commission employee who was driving on a seasonal road.

State police troopers believe vented exhaust fumes from an outside gasoline generator entered from underneath the trailer, causing Roberts' death. They believe he may have been overcome by the deadly fumes early in the morning, possibly while making coffee. Troopers reportedly found a full pot of coffee and a clean coffee cup inside the trailer.

Publication date: 11/21/2005