BURNSIDE TOWNSHIP, MI — Two deer hunters — both Flint, MI, police officers — were found dead in their deer blind, victims of apparent carbon monoxide asphyxiation, according to a story inThe Detroit Free Press. Ryan Martus, 30, and Rogelio Luna, 32, were discovered last Friday on the first day of firearms deer season.

The carbon monoxide is believed to have come from a propane heater found in the blind that may have malfunctioned, causing the deaths. Police found no evidence of foul play.

Luna had been with the Flint Police Department for over 11 years and Martus more than six. Both were married. “They were both good police officers,” said Flint Police Chief Bradford Barksdale in the Free Press story.

Publication date: 11/18/2002