ALLENDALE, La. - A family of seven in suburban Shreveport was recently treated for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning symptoms.

A Shreveport Fire Department spokesman told The Shreveport Times, "These people were very fortunate. There's little doubt they would not have made it through the day."

The spokesman added that gas company officials blamed the incident on a faulty air-handling unit and clogged air filter. The gas company said the air-intake filter to the home's heating unit was not allowing air to the unit, which allowed the unit to burn freely - pushing exhaust from the flames into the home every time the unit cycled.

Publication date: 11/15/2004