Whether you’re the owner of an HVAC contracting company, a senior technician, or someone studying HVAC in school, take this quiz to find out how much you know about servicing equipment.
How Much Do You Know About HVAC Service?
Take this HVAC quiz to see what you know
October 29, 2021
1. What is often considered the “blood pressure” of an HVAC system?
A. The compressor
B. The static pressure
C. The refrigerant
D. The ductwork
2. What is the first step in determining a compressor’s mode of failure?
A. Check the running current
B. Determine if it is a mechanical or electrical failure
C. Conduct an acid test
D. Verify proper phasing
3. Which of the following does not cause airflow restrictions?
A. Restrictive air filter
B. Restrictive indoor coil
C. Undersized ductwork
D. Restrictive duct fittings and transitions
E. Open dampers
4. A byproduct of the combustion process in a boiler can mix with condensate and raise pH to damaging levels.
5. Using soap bubbles is not a good way to find a refrigerant leak in a system.
6. Provided the condenser is sized to maintain reasonable condensing pressure in a system with a remote condenser, pressure drops in a discharge line up to ____ psi generally do not have a detrimental impact on system performance.
A. 1 psi
B. 10 psi
C. 25 psi
D. 50 psi
7. Which of the following will not cause low suction pressures in a system?
A. An iced or frosted evaporator coil
B. A kinked suction line
C. A bad defrost heater
D. The presence of a TXV
8. Which can you safely ignore in a residential ventilation inspection?
A. Evaporator coil
B. Condenser coil
C. Return air grille
E. All of the above
F. None of the above
9. What is the temperature limit for any discharge line temperature measured two inches from the compressor?
10. Incorrectly sizing equipment to a building will have a small effect on system efficiency, but it usually will be negligible.
Thank you for completing our quiz!
Sorry. Please try again.