ATTICA TOWNSHIP, MI — Five people, four from the same family, were found dead in a rural Michigan home yesterday, apparently overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning.

A spokesperson for the Lapeer County Sheriff’s Department said a propane furnace in the basement of the two-story home was leaking exhaust. The unit had recently been moved and there was a quarter-inch gap where the exhaust pipe connected to the furnace.

Although officials did not release the names, a former teacher identified the victims as Christine Harm Anzures, 31, and her daughters Cecilia, 10, Alexandria, 8, and Olivia, 6. Christine Anzure’s 37-year-old boyfriend also died.

Publication date: 03/11/2002