NORTH BEACH, Wash. - The carbon monoxide (CO) death of a man here has prompted the Seattle Fire Department to warn area residents about the dangers of CO poisoning.

Ronald Searight was discovered unconscious in the family home and could not be revived. Firefighters found a reading of more than 900 parts per million (ppm) of CO near the home's boiler. They recorded between 300 and 500 ppm in the living room and top floor.

In a story in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, a fire department spokeswoman said those levels are "extremely high." She said the likely source of the gas was the home's natural gas-fired boiler.

Officials noted the importance of having CO detectors in the home and placing them in the proper location.

Publication date: 11/15/2004