If you have ever drowned in a sea of red tape, you’ll empathize with the plight of Nevada hvacr contractors who must endure a battery of one-way streets and U-turns.

News contractor consultant Jeff Stewart, of Quality Air Conditioning Service in Las Vegas, listed these requirements for getting an application to service a/c systems:

  • Application with fee of $300, and a license fee of $300 (total $600); the application requires a financial report with full disclosure and bank verification form.

  • Four reference sheets verifying qualifications in application classification; they must show a minimum of four years’ experience in the trade.

  • A résumé of experience showing where you’ve worked and for how long.

  • Successful passing of written examination; this will be in two parts. The first covers general knowledge of Nevada’s license law, the second, a trade exam on specific classification. Fees for exams are $40 and $75 respectively. The exam can be taken only after verification of experience.

  • After the application is approved, a bond must be posted and must be maintained for five years, the amount being set by the board. After the five years, it may be removed if requested and approved by the board. You also must be required to provide proof of industrial insurance in accordance to state requirements.

  • Most recently, a new residential recovery fund must be paid by all contractors on a yearly basis. This fee is from $100 to $500, depending on the license amount. There is also a child support information sheet that must be completed by the applicant.

  • And let’s not forget the most recent license requirements for companies that would like to sell repair service contracts. This $1,000 fee paid to the Dept. of Insurance more than doubles the initial cost.

“One of our flaws in licensing is in regards to mobile home licensing,” said Stewart. “Essentially, if you are licensed by the State Contractors Board to repair a/c systems and were asked to service a mobile home, you would not be allowed.

“There is a total and separate license to work on mobile homes. This only applies to homes that are not on property owned by the occupant (those in parks, etc.). This license by the Manufactured Housing Division requires the successful passing of a written exam that encompasses the whole mobile home.

“Questions regarding setup, skirting, and other related questions are required to pass the test. Many local contractors have complied and have taken the separate test. Even though the a/c systems could be slightly different in application and design, a qualified technician is more than capable to work on a mobile home a/c system without a separate license.

“It is also required in our state to have your contractor’s license on all documents, proposals, Yellow Pages advertising, and vehicles.

“Overall, I see our state as being pretty fair in their licensing and regulations. Our State Contractors Board has generally been very open to our industry and works well with our local air conditioning associations. We have worked together legislatively on several issues, and they speak at our monthly meets on a regular basis.”

Do you have similar complaints? Can this process be streamlined? Send your comments to Business Management Editor John Hall at halljr@bnp.com (e-mail).