ATLANTA — ASHRAE recognized the outstanding achievements and contributions of members to the Society and the built environment industry during its 2020 Winter Conference.
“We congratulate each of ASHRAE’s Honors and Awards recipients for their leadership in advancing the future of our industry and our Society,” said 2019-20 ASHRAE President Darryl K. Boyce, P.Eng.
A list of the awards and recipients are below:
Fellow ASHRAE is a membership grade that recognizes members who have attained distinction and made substantial contributions in HVACR and the built environment such as education, research, engineering design and consultation, publications, presentations, and mentoring. The Society elevated 33 members to the grade of Fellow:
- Andrew C. Äsk, P.E., Life Member ASHRAE, consulting engineer, Fort Myers, Fla.
- Bratislav D. Blagojevic, Ph.D., full professor, University of Nis, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Nis, Serbia, CEO, Feniks BB, Nis, Serbia
- Jui-Chen “Roger” Chang, P.E., principal, DLR Group, Washington, D.C.
- Fabio M. Clavijo, P.E., Life Member ASHRAE, president, Tecnaire Ltda., Bogota, Colombia
- Chandana N. Dalugoda, C.Eng., managing partner and lead consultant, Chandana Dalugoda Consultants, Piliyandala, Sri Lanka
- J.A. Hugh C. De Saram, Life Member ASHRAE, consulting engineer and trainer, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Ioan Silviu DOBOŞI, Dr. Eng., general manager, SC Dosetimpex SRL, Timişoara, Romania
- Daniel L. Doyle, P.E., chairman, Grumman/Butkus Associates, Evanston, Ill.
- Michael W. Gallagher, P.E., president, Western Allied Corporation, Santa Fe Springs, Calif.
- Nesreen K. Ghaddar, Ph.D., professor of mechanical engineering and director of the Munib and Angela Masri Institute of Energy and Natural Resources, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
- Ying “Eric” Gong, Ph.D., P.E., principal engineer, Goodman Manufacturing Company, L.P., Waller, Texas
- Charles E. Gulledge III, P.E., HBDP, senior mechanical engineer, Environmental Air Systems, LLC, High Point, N.C.
- William A. Harrison, Presidential Life Member ASHRAE, CEO, Harrison Energy Partners, Little Rock, Ark.
- Linda K. Lawrie, Life Member ASHRAE, vice president and principal software design engineer, DHL Consulting LLC, Pagosa Springs, Colo.
- Nicolas Lemire, P.Eng., president and CEO, Pageau Morel and Associates, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Bing Liu, P.E., senior manager, Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance, Portland, Ore.
- Antonio Luis De Campos Mariani, Ph.D., professor at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, chairman of the Commission of Projects with Social Responsibility - Programa Poli Cidadã, coordinator of the Indoor Air Quality Studies Laboratory - (LEQAI), Escola Politecnica of the University of Sao Paulo (EPUSP), Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Gian Chand Modgil, CEO, Sterling India Consulting Engineers, New Delhi, India
- S.K. Murthy, Life Member ASHRAE, founder and chairman, Eskayem Consultants Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai, India
- Matthew Ngan Ping Leung, Er., senior vice president, Changi Airport Group Pte. Ltd., Singapore
- C. Wijitha K. Perera, C.Eng., director, Wijitha Perera Associates Pvt. Ltd., Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Fabrizio Pesce, construction administrator consultant, Livonia, Mich.
- Shailesh Phatak, P.E., director, Albus Engineering Consultants Pvt. Ltd., Pune, India
- Uma Shanker, chairman, Advance Valves Group, Noida, India
- Charles D. Simpson, Life Member, resides in Monroe, N.C.
- Michael G. Talbot, P.E., senior mechanical engineer, Apogee Consulting Group, Raleigh, N.C.
- Paul A. Torcellini, Ph.D., P.E., professor, Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic, Connecticut, principal engineer, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colo.
- Paolo Tronville, Ph.D., associate professor, Politecnico di Torino – Department of Energy, Turin, Italy
- Xinlei Wang, Ph.D., professor and associate head of the Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Ill.
- Michael W. Woodford, Life Member ASHRAE, retired vice president of standards, AHRI, Arlington, Virginia
- Shitong Zha, Ph.D., principal engineer of global research and development, Heatcraft Worldwide Refrigeration, Stone Mountain, Ga.
- Zhiqiand (John) Zhai, Ph.D., professor, University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, Colo.
- Alexander Zhivov, Ph.D., Life Member ASHRAE, senior research engineer, US Army Engineer Research and Development Center, Champaign, Ill.
Pioneers of the Industry
Warren S. Johnson, 1847-1911, was posthumously awarded with ASHRAE Pioneers of Industry Award, recognizing deceased individuals who have made milestone contributions to the growth of HVAC&R. Johnson’s development of a multi-zone pneumatic control system helped to launch of the building control industry.
Presidential Certificate of Honor
Bernard A. Nagengast, Life Member ASHRAE, received the Presidential Certificate of Honor. The award is presented as a special honor by the ASHRAE President to recognize a member who has made a unique contribution to the growth and well-being of the Society. Nagengast resides in Sidney, Ohio.
The ASHRAE Technology Awards
The ASHRAE Technology Awards recognize outstanding achievements by ASHRAE members who have successfully applied innovative building designs. Their designs incorporate ASHRAE standards for effective energy management and indoor air quality and serve to communicate innovative systems design. Winning projects are selected from entries earning regional awards.
First place recipients for the ASHRAE Technology Award are:
- Henry W. Johnstone, P.E., new educational facilities category, Environment and Natural Resources 2, Tucson, Ariz. The building is owned by the University of Arizona, Planning Design & Construction.
- Chad Luning, P.E., Michael J. McDermott, Eric S. Huber, P.E. and David J. Nelson, P.E., existing educational facilities category, University of Illinois Frederick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory Renovation, Champaign, Ill. The building is owned by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Facilities & Services.
- Kurt Monteiro, P.Eng., HFDP, HBDP and Kevin K. Sharples, P.Eng., new heath care facilities category, Peel Memorial Centre, Brampton, Ontario, Canada. The building is owned by William Osler Health System.
- Paul R. Finch C.Eng., new industrial facilities or processes category, Kao Data Campus, Harlow, United Kingdom. The building is owned by Kao Data.
- Leighton W. Deer, P.E. and Kevin W. Kaufman, P.E., new public assembly category, Tennessee State Museum, Nashville, Tenn. The building is owned by the State of Tennessee, Department of General Services, Real Estate Asset Management.
First Place and Award of Engineering Excellence
The Award of Engineering Excellence was created in 1989 to recognize a first-place winner of the Society-level Technology Award competition for an outstanding application of innovative design and effective energy utilization. The recipient of the Award of Engineering Excellence will have demonstrated the best overall compliance with the judging criteria.
First place and recipients of the Award of Engineering Excellence are:
- Susumu Horikawa, Kosuke Sato, Dr. Eng. and Eri Kataoka, new commercial buildings category, Shogakukan Building, Tokyo, Japan. The building is owned by Shogakukan Real Estate Development Inc.
Student Design Competition
The 2019 Student Design Competition focused on a new four-story 70,000 square feet medical, clinical, surgical, and office building in Budapest, Hungary.
First place in the HVAC System Selection category was awarded to the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Neb. Team members are Mitch Mallett-Hiatt, Colin Mathis Miller and Samuel Underwood.
First place in the HVAC Design Calculations category was awarded to Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt. Team members are Beshoy Badr Kamel, George Mounir Gerges, Samaa Khaled, Kerollos Samir, John Victor, and Paula Wanis.
First place in the Integrated Sustainable Building Design category was awarded to Loughborough University, Leicestershire, United Kingdom. Team members are Vijaya Kumar Chithambaram, Hope Tique Organista, Joshua Vasudevan, and Greeshma Bindu Nandakumar.
The Setty Family Foundation Applied Engineering Challenge requires students to plan, develop, and enact solutions to sustainability issues in their local or regional areas.
The first place student team from the University of New Hampshire, Durham, N.H., designed a self-sustaining community that could accommodate 5,000 people on the island of Vieques, Puerto Rico. Team members are Samuel Bean, Alexander Sparks, Jake Scarpino, and Sarah Mayer.
E.K. Campbell Award of Merit
Janice Kathleen Means, P.E., Life Member ASHRAE, received the E.K. Campbell Award of Merit. The award honors an individual for outstanding service and achievement in teaching and is presented by the Life Members Club. Means is professor emeritus, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, Mich.
John F. James International Award
Farooq Mehboob, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, received the John F. James International Award. The award recognizes a member who has done the most to enhance the Society’s international presence. Mehboob is CEO, S. Mehboob & Company, Karachi, Pakistan.
ASHRAE Award for Distinguished Public Service
Carl F. Huber, P.E., Life Member ASHRAE, received the ASHRAE Award for Distinguished Public Service. The award recognizes members who have performed outstanding public service in their community and, in doing so, have helped to improve the public image of the engineer. Huber is vice president of corporate quality and sustainability, WaterFurnace International, Inc., Fort Wayne, Ind.
James Earl “Jimmy” Carter, Jr., 39th President of the United States, was elected as an Honorary Member of ASHRAE. Honorary Members, elected by the Board of Directors, are defined as notable persons of preeminent professional distinction. Carter is the principal founder of the Carter Center, Atlanta, Ga.
ASHRAE Hall of Fame
Frederick E. Giesecke, Ph.D., Presidential Life Member ASHVE (1869-1953) and Richard P. Perry, P.Eng., Presidential Fellow Life Member ASHRAE (1923-2014), were inducted into the ASHRAE Hall of Fame. The ASHRAE Hall of Fame honors deceased members of the Society who have made milestone contributions to the growth of ASHRAE-related technology or the development of ASHRAE as a society.
F. Paul Anderson Award
William P. Bahnfleth, Ph.D., P.E., Presidential Fellow Member ASHRAE, received the F. Paul Anderson Award. The award, ASHRAE’s highest honor, for technical achievement, is named in memory of Presidential Member F. Paul Anderson, who was a pioneer in the study of environmental conditions for comfort. Bahnfleth is a professor, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa.