The 20 plumbing and 12 HVAC apprentices participating in the Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors—National Association (PHCC) Educational Foundation’s annual apprentice contests last month proved that the future of their industry is in good hands.
“We’re really fortunate in that we always have great contestants who demand a lot from themselves,” said Merry Beth Hall, the foundation’s assistant vice president for workforce development. “This year’s competitors were no exception, and the winners are examples of some of the stellar apprentices who rise to the top under the pressure of competition.” The popular contest was held during PHCC’s CONNECT conference in Milwaukee.
Judged by the Foundation’s Apprentice and Journeyman Training Committee, this year’s winners are:
- 1st place HVAC – Sean Dobbs, UA Local 486 (Maryland)
- 1st place plumbing – Daniel Judd, David N. Judd Plumbing (Virginia)
- 2nd place HVAC – Marshall Brahm, UA Local 601 (Wisconsin)
- 2nd place plumbing – Tony Prins, Domestic Plumbing (Iowa)
- 3rd place HVAC – Allen Maslo, UA Local 597 (Illinois)
- 3rd place plumbing – Ryan Johnson, Michael & Son Services (Virginia).
More than 40 companies supported this year’s HVAC and plumbing apprentice contests at some level, providing sponsorships, materials, judges and prizes. “Our sponsors are the lifeblood of our contests,” said Hall. “Without our sponsors, the contests would not happen … we are always grateful for the tremendous industry support we receive each year.
Publication date: 11/15/2017