• Install CO monitors at work and at home. Suggested locations are each level and in each bedroom of a home.
• Check the expiration dates of CO monitors. The average life is approximately five to seven years before the sensor will fail.
• Check gas appliances periodically for proper operation and venting.
• Ensure chimneys, flues, and vents are clear of debris.
• Do not use unvented gas and wood stoves or charcoal grills indoors.
• Do not permit automobiles or other gas-powered equipment to run indoors without proper exhaust ventilation.
• Do not run a car or truck inside a garage attached to a house or business facility, even if you leave the door open.
• Symptoms of low-level CO poisoning include headaches, nausea, weakness, dizziness, and confusion. If you suspect you may be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, seek medical attention immediately.
For more information regarding carbon monoxide poisoning education and prevention from the CDC, visit www.cdc.gov/co/. For more information about safety products from Grainger, visit www.grainger.com/safety.
Publication date: 11/21/2011