ATLANTA - The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) announced that a number of new technologies for emerging applications is included in its newly published 2010 BACnet standard. ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 135-2010, BACnet – A Data Communication Protocol for Building Automation and Control Networks, allows building equipment and systems manufactured by different companies to work together. The open, consensus-developed standard for the building controls industry contains 19 addenda approved since the 2008 standard was published.
“The 2010 version of the standard represents a large amount of work in a short amount of time by the BACnet committee,” said Dave Robin, committee chair. “In just two years, the committee has added a wide variety of new technologies and contributed more than 400 pages to the standard.”
The standard contains several new ways to communicate: wireless communications is provided for applications where wired networks are impractical or expensive; a new XML vocabulary is provided for complex standard and proprietary data and metadata; a new character encoding method is provided for greater flexibility and compatibility with international text; and new state-of-the-art network security is defined to allow the creation of highly secure communications channels for sensitive data.
It also adds:
• Higher speeds for MS/TP networks and wiring guidance for optically isolated segments.
• New requirements for workstations and the definition of new kinds of workstations.
• New engineering units to support smart grid and other emerging applications.
• A new Global Group object for gathering, monitoring, and distributing sets of data.
• Six new objects to support physical access control.
• Twelve new objects to support the full complement of all data types, including strings.
The cost of ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 135-2010, BACnet – A Data Communication Protocol for Building Automation and Control Networks, is $170 ($140 ASHRAE members). To order, contact ASHRAE Customer Service at 800-527-4723 (United States and Canada) or 404-636-8400 (worldwide), fax 404-321-5478, or visit www.ashrae.org/bookstore.
May 20, 2011: ASHRAE 2010 BACnet Standard Published
May 20, 2011