LONG BEACH, Calif. - The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) recognized more than 50 people and one chapter for contributions to ASHRAE and the HVACR industry at the Society’s 2007 Annual Meeting.
The Exceptional Service Award recognizes Distinguished Award recipients who have continued to serve the Society faithfully and with exemplary effort. Six recipients were recognized:
• Tom Ferdelman, P.E., senior mechanical engineer, Heapy Engineering, Dayton, Ohio
• Art Hallstrom, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, system specialist manager, Trane Co., Lexington, Ky.
• Dan Int-Hout III, Krueger, Richardson, Texas
• Tom Phoenix, P.E., principal and vice president, Moser Mayer Phoenix Associates, Greensboro, N.C.
• Presidential Member Donald G. Rich, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, Fayetteville, N.Y.
• Edward Vineyard, P.E., manager, thermally activated program, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Knoxville, Tenn.
The Distinguished Service Award salutes members of any grade for giving freely of their time and talent to the Society. The following 18 members were selected:
• Robert G. Baker, founder and chairman, BBJ Environmental Solutions, Tampa, Fla.
• Michel Bernier, Ph.D., P.Eng., professor, École Polytechnique de Montréal, Quebec, Canada
• Michael J. Brandemuehl, associate professor, University of Colorado at Boulder
• John Castelvecchi, P.E., sales engineer, Shultz and James, Mechanicsville, Va.
• K. William Dean, P.Eng, facilities manager, NRC Plant Biotechnology Institute, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
• David R. Dinse. P.E., project manager, Tennessee Valley Authority, Chattanooga, Tenn.
• Piotr Domanski, Ph.D., leader in the HVAC&R Equipment Performance Group, Building Environment Division of the Building and Fire Research Laboratory, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Md.
• Vijay K. Gupta, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, chief mechanical engineering, Office of the Chief Architect, Public Building Service, U.S. General Services Administration, Washington, D.C.
• Shinsuke Kato, Ph.D., professor at IIS, The University of Tokyo, Meguro-Ku, Japan
• Stephen D. Kennedy, territorial affairs manager, Georgia Power Co., Atlanta
• William J. McCartney, partner, Isotherm Engineering, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
• Christopher O. Muller, technical director, Purafil, Doraville, Ga.
• James H. Norman, Life Member, retired manager of technical services, ASHRAE, Atlanta
• Daniel C. Pettway, sales representative, Hobbs & Associates, Virginia Beach, Va.
• Ernest W. Schumacher, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, retired vice president, Fujikoki America
• Jelena Srebric, Ph.D., associate professor, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa.
• Renison W. Tisdale, Jr., P.E., president, Vansant & Gusler Inc, Norfolk, Va.
• Yuanhui Zhang, Ph.D., P.E., professor and head of the Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Distinguished 50-Year Member Award is given to persons who have been a member of the Society for 50 years and have performed outstanding service to the Society. The following 12 members received the award:
• William Barbier, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, president, Concept Technology Inc., Hazelwood, Mo.
• Hugh C. Carter, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, founder and chairman, Carter Engineers, San Diego
• Robert J. Coughlin, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, retired advisory facilities engineer, IBM, Cincinnati
• John J. “Jack” Harmon, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, president, John J. Harmon Consulting Engineering, Richmond, Va.
• Francois L’Anglais, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, Sillery, Quebec, Canada
• William A. Lotz, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, Acton, Maine
• Carl W. MacPhee, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, honored posthumously
• David N. McMinn, Life Member, Santa Rosa, Calif.
• Presidential Member Donald G. Rich, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, Fayetteville, N.Y.
• Robert T. Tamblyn, P.Eng., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, principal, Tamblyn Consulting Services, North York, Ontario, Canada
• Eugene L. Valerio, Life Member, principal, Technical Marketing Services, Coos Bay, Ore.
• Robert D. Wells, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, honored posthumously
The Journal Paper Award honors the best paper or article published inASHRAE Journal. Michel Bernier, Ph.D., P.Eng., is the recipient for writing Closed-Loop Ground-Coupled Heat Pump Systems, published in the September 2006 issue. Bernier is a professor, Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
The Crosby Field Award honors the best paper presented at an ASHRAE meeting. Michael Collins, Ph.D., and John Wright, Ph.D., P.Eng., are the recipients for their paper, Calculating Center-Glass Performance Indices of Windows with a Diathermanous Layer. Wright is a professor and Collins is an associate professor, Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
The following papers were selected to receive ASHRAE Technical/Symposium Paper Awards, which recognize the authors of the best papers presented at Society meetings.
• Donald Fisher, P.Eng., Richard Swierczyna and Paul Sobiski, for Effects of Appliance Diversity and Position on Commercial Kitchen Hood Performance (RP-1202). They also receive a paper award for Effects of Range Top Diversity, Range Accessories and Hood Dimensions on Commercial Kitchen Hood Performance. Fisher is president/CEO, Fisher-Nickel, San Ramon, Calif.; Swierczyna is operations manager, and Sobiski is a research engineer, Commercial Kitchen Ventilation Laboratory, Architectural Energy Corp., Wood Dale, Ill.
• Oyetope Abe, Carey Simonson, Ph.D., P.Eng., Robert Besant, P.Eng., and Wei Shang, Ph.D., for Relationship Between Energy Wheel Speed and Effectiveness and its Transient Response, Part I; Mathematical Development of the Characteristic Time Constants and Their Relationship with Effectiveness. Abe is a technical professional, Halliburton Group Canada, Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada; Simonson is an associate professor, Shang is with and Besant is professor emeritus, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.
• Gregory Linteris, Ph.D., for Burning Velocity of 1, 1-Diflurorethane (R-152a). Linteris is program manager, advanced measurements and predictive methods, Building and Fire Research Laboratory, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Md.
The ASHRAE Poster Presentation Award is given to peer-reviewed technical papers with the best visual and technical information presented at Society meetings. The recipient is: Vasile Minea, Ph.D., for Improved Supermarket Refrigeration and Heat Recovery Systems. Minea is a scientist researcher, Hydro-Quebec Research Institute, LTE Laboratory, Shawinigan, Quebec, Canada.
The Willis H. Carrier Award is given to an ASHRAE member 32 years of age or younger for presenting an outstanding paper at a Society meeting. Barbara McCrary is the recipient for Environmental Impacts of Surface Water Heat Pump, which also received an ASHRAE Poster Presentation Award. Co-authors also receiving the Poster Presentation Award are Stephen Kavanaugh, Ph.D., and Derek Williamson, Ph.D. McCrary is with Hattemer, Hornsby and Bailey, Prattville, Ala.; Kavanaugh is a professor of mechanical engineering and Williamson is a professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
The William J. Collins Jr. Research Promotion Award is given to the chapter research promotion chair who raises the most money for ASHRAE research. The recipient is Brian Hamilton, owner, Hydro-Aire, Tulsa, Okla.
The ASHRAE Student Activities Achievement Award recognizes a Chapter Student Activities chair for service related to the goals and growth of student activities at all levels. The recipient is Jim Toda, technical specialist, Southern California Edison, Irwindale, Calif.
The Dan Mills Technical Award recognizes a Chapter Technology Transfer Committee (CTTC) chair who excels in meeting CTTC goals in technical, energy and government activities. The recipient is Bryan Lampley, controls manager, Envirotrol/Etrol.net, Greensboro, N.C.
The Chapter Program Star Award recognizes excellence in chapter program endeavors. The recipient is Thomas G. Lewis, technical analysis engineer, Omaha Public Power District, Omaha, Neb.
The Government Activities Award recognizes an ASHRAE chapter for outstanding effort and achievement in state, provincial, and local government activities in connection with technical issues related to the activities of the Society. The recipient is the Puerto Rico Chapter.
The Ralph G. Nevins Physiology and Human Environment Award is given to a researcher under the age of 40 for significant accomplishment in the study of bioenvironmental engineering and its effect on human comfort and health. The recipient is Charlie Huizenga, research specialist at the Center for the Built Environment, University of California at Berkeley.
The Environmental Health Award recognizes excellence in volunteer service focused on environmental health issues. This is the first time the award has been presented. The recipient is David Grimsrud, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, director of the Minnesota Building Research Center at the University of Minnesota, where he is a professor emeritus.