Monday, Jan. 29, 2007: ASHRAE Recognizes Industry Achievements
The ASHRAE Hall of Fame honors deceased members of the Society who have made significant contributions to the growth of HVACR technology. The Society inducted Mary Engle Pennington, Ph.D., whose pioneering work improved the safety of perishable foods. Pennington was the first female member of and a Fellow of The American Society of Refrigerating Engineers (ASRE), an ASHRAE predecessor. She was known for her outstanding contributions to the refrigerated preservation of foods in storage.
The ASHRAE/ALCO Medal for Distinguished Public Service recognizes distinguished public service by an ASHRAE member. The recipient was David McKenney, P.E., Life Member, chairman and executive officer, McKenney’s Inc.: Mechanical Contractors and Engineers, Atlanta.
Fellow ASHRAE is a membership grade that recognizes distinction in the arts and sciences of environmental technology. The honor is earned through achievement as a researcher, designer, educator, or engineering executive. The Society elevated 19 members to Fellow:
• William A. Acorn, P.E., principal of Acorn Consulting Services, Tucson, Ariz.
• Robert A. Bunn, P.E., Life Member, consulting engineer, Nashville, Tenn.
• Richard C. Cavestri, Ph.D., director and owner of Imagination Resources Inc., Dublin, Ohio, a research firm.
• Florea Chiriac, Ph.D., professor of thermodynamics, refrigeration and air conditioning at the Technical University of Civil Engineering, Bucharest, Romania.
• Cynthia L. Gage, Ph.D., senior research engineer with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Research Triangle Park, N.C.
• Eckhard A. Groll, Ph.D., professor and the director of global initiatives, cooperative education and professional experience in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University.
• Jeff S. Haberl, Ph.D., P.E., professor in the Department of Architecture and the director of the Energy Systems Laboratory at Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas.
• Mark M. Hydeman, P.E., principal at Taylor Engineering, Alameda, Calif.
• Jiin-Yuh Jang, Ph.D., professor and chairman of the Department of Mechanical Engineering at National Cheng-Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan.
• K. S. Kannan, Ph.D., P.Eng., C.Eng., chief project coordinator at the Malaysia Energy Centre, Selangor, Malaysia.
• Yuguo Li, Ph.D., associate professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Hong Kong.
• Kent Peterson, P.E., founding principal and chief engineer of P2S Engineering, Long Beach, Calif.
• Laurentino Punsalan, P.E., Life Member, managing partner of L.R. Punsalan & Associates, Makati City, Philippines.
• K. Reinhard Radermacher, Ph.D., professor and a director/founder of the Center for Environmental Energy Engineering in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maryland.
• Peter Simmonds, Ph.D., associate with IBE Consulting Engineers, Sherman Oaks, Calif.
• Sriram Somasundaram, Ph.D., staff scientist at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Richland, Wash.
• Shin-ichi Tanabe, Dr.Eng., professor in the Department of Architecture at Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan.
• Kuan-Hsiung Yang, Ph.D., professor in the Department of Mechanical and Electro-Mechanical Engineering, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Taiwan.
• Hiroshi Yososhino, Ph.D., professor in the Department of Architecture and Building Sciences at Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan.