"The Technical Standards & Safety Authority is concerned that some natural gas and propane burning draft boilers equipped with a draft hood are not properly installed, operated, or maintained. This may result in a carbon monoxide safety hazard in the home that may cause personal injury up to and including death," reports the Canadian Hydronics Council.
To immediately address this situation, TSSA is legally requiring that all heating contractors perform a CO safety check on the boiler and take action when an unsafe condition is identified. This check will be required whenever a technician enters a home with this type of boiler regardless of whether the homeowner/user has requested service on that boiler. This check is only required once during the heating season. The gas technician is also required to visually examine the boiler and take action if there are signs of poor operation.
For more information, contact Jason Bourque at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Canadian Hydronics Council (CHC), founded in 1963, is a council within the Canadian Institute of Plumbing and Heating. Its mission is to promote the responsible growth and contribute to the prosperity of members and their customers in the hydronic heating industry.
Publication date: 12/26/2005