FALLS CHURCH, Va. — The Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors — National Association (PHCC) announced the April 2, 2022, passing of Past National President Joe Schmitt (2008-2009) of Englewood, Ohio. He was a member of PHCC since 1968 and was a highly respected leader in the plumbing-heating-cooling industry.
“Joe Schmitt’s steady leadership was just what PHCC needed during the economic crisis that began in 2008,” said PHCC National President Joel Long. “He was the ‘calming force’ during turbulent economic times and the initiatives he created had a lasting positive effect on PHCC for many years.”
Schmitt served as PHCC of Ohio President (1989-1991) and was a partner of Joe Schmitt & Sons Plumbing & Heating, Englewood. The PHCC “A Heritage Unique” history book reports that as an experienced business owner, he was a specialist and teacher of the art and science of backflow prevention. One of his first actions was to ask the PHCC — National Association Board of Directors to approve a strategic plan that was both simple and workable and focused on the core mission of supporting members.
Achievements during his term in office included:
- Producing numerous business-building programs that members could use to "survive and thrive" in trying times — and position their companies for an expected upturn;
- Advocating to secure favorable small business and personal tax breaks in the federal stimulus package;
- Facilitating an invitation for a PHCC member to meet with President Obama and also participate in press conference highlighting the tax credits in the stimulus package;
- Maintaining an active role in “green” construction and the water and energy conservation arenas; and
- Launching the PHCC Educational Foundation’s first online plumbing home study program, a precursor to a popular program in place today.
Schmitt passed down a love of the plumbing, heating, and cooling profession to his son Ron, who now runs the family business. Ron is a current member of the PHCC National Board of Directors.
A celebration of life for Joe will be held 5-7 p.m. April 7, 2022, at the Kindred Funeral Home in Englewood, Ohio. A funeral service will occur at 10:30 a.m., April 8, at St. Paul Catholic Church, Englewood, Ohio, where Joe was a founding member.
Check here for updates.
Report Abusive Comment