Performance Contract to Enable Lawrence County Schools to Realize Millions in Energy Savings
Energy and Water System Renovations to Save Alabama School District $11.7 Million over Next 20 Years
DALLAS — Schneider Electric announced it is partnering with Lawrence County Schools in Moulton, Alabama, to execute an energy savings performance contract (ESPC) that will fund critical infrastructure renovations the district could not otherwise afford. The contract allows for key upgrades in the district’s 19 buildings and guarantees $430,000 in savings per year for the next 20 years, totaling $11.7 million in energy savings.
Increasing energy costs that consume operating budgets coupled with recent economically harsh years have led to minimal funds available to upgrade schools’ infrastructure. The ESPC with Schneider Electric will allow the school district to secure funding for necessary upgrades at no cost to taxpayers and reduce annual district energy consumption by 25 percent.
“Schneider Electric is a very well-respected company that has worked with numerous school systems throughout the state and country,” said Lawrence County Schools Superintendent Heath Grimes. “We are glad to enter into this agreement with them that will allow us to realize a large amount of energy savings in the long-term and do some much-needed improvements at our schools in the short-term.”
“This is an exciting project for Schneider Electric as we partner with Lawrence County Schools to make renovations that will significantly improve the learning environment for their students,” said Tammy Fulop, vice president, Schneider Electric. “We are proud to help schools and municipalities in Alabama and across the nation overcome funding obstacles and address much-needed renovations to become more energy efficient.”
Budget-neutral improvements underway include:
• District-wide building automation, providing centralized control of 4,500 access points.
• Renovations and upgrades to over 11,600 interior and exterior lighting components.
• District-wide IT enterprise management system to control power usage of 3,700 pieces of equipment.
• Water system upgrades that will reduce water consumption by 6 million gallons.
• New voice over IP telecommunications system across all campuses.
• Mechanical renovation at East Lawrence Elementary School.
• New windows at R.A. Hubbard High School.
• Ability for maintenance staff to control and troubleshoot mechanical units from a central location for the first time.
The plan, details, and progress of the project will be shared with the community as it moves towards completion. The performance contract will have positive environmental impacts on the community as well, helping Lawrence County School District reduce its carbon emissions by 41,000 tons.
For more information, visit www.schneider-electric.com/us.
Publication date: 5/18/2015