March 6, 2015: ASHRAE Announces Spring Online Courses, New Commissioning Course
New Course Reviews the Commissioning Requirements Embodied in Standard 202
ATLANTA — ASHRAE has announced the addition of a new online course focused on requirements in its first commissioning standard. The course, “Commissioning Process and Standard 202,” taught by Walter Grondzik, P.E., is being held March 25, 2015. It is one of 12 ASHRAE Learning Institute (ALI) spring online courses being offered.
In 2005, ASHRAE Guideline 0, The Commissioning Process, addressed commissioning as a voluntary element. With the incorporation of mandatory commissioning requirements in standards, such as ASHRAE/IES/USGBC Standard 189.1, Standard for the Design of High Performance Green Buildings, it was determined that a code-language description of the commissioning process was needed. That need was filled with publication of ANSI/ASHRAE/IES Standard 202-2013, Commissioning Process for Buildings and Systems, which provides information on minimum acceptable commissioning process practices.
“The course reviews the commissioning requirements embodied in Standard 202 and links them to Guideline 0 and other technical support documents,” said Grondzik. “We will provide an understanding of the commissioning process as described by Standard 202, explain how and why the Standard 202 commissioning process differs from that in Guideline 0, and explore how compliance with the standard is likely to evolve.”
Several of the spring courses are part of ASHRAE’s Career Enhancement Curriculum, which focuses on IAQ Practices and Energy Savings (ES) Practices. Course participants earn continuing education unit (CEU) credits and qualify for professional development hours (PDH) for each course completed.
Half-day short courses are:
• Fundamentals & Applications of Standard 55-2013 (IAQ Practices), March 9
• Troubleshooting Humidity Control Problems (IAQ Practices), March 11
• Advanced High-Performance Building Design (ES Practices), March 23
• Commissioning Process and Standard 202 (new), March 25
• IT Equipment Design Evolution and Data Center Operation Optimization, March 30
• Complying with Standard 90.1-2013: HVAC/Mechanical (ES Practices), April 8
• Fundamental Requirements of Standard 62.1-2013 (IAQ Practices), April 13
• Understanding Standard 189.1-2014 for High-Performance Green Buildings (ES Practices) (new), April 20
• Complying with Standard 90.1-2013: Envelope/Lighting (ES Practices), May 4
• Exceeding Standard 90.1-2013 to Meet LEED Requirements (ES Practices), May 13
The following courses are comprised of two parts. Registrants must attend both parts in order to receive CEU/PDH credits.
• Commercial Building Energy Audits – Part 1, April 22, and Part 2, April 27
• Energy Modeling Best Practices and Applications – Part 1, April 29, and Part 2, May 6 (ES Practices)
For more information and to register, visit www.ashrae.org/onlinecourses.
Publication date: 3/2/2015