The Energy Efficiency Market Acceleration Program (EE-MAP) is being implemented by the New York Power Authority (NYPA). The program will fund research, market development activities, and demonstration projects to help leverage investments and promote business development opportunities for emerging energy efficiency technologies. In July 2012, the NYPA board of trustees authorized $30 million for the EE-MAP initiative.
“This public-private partnership will help bring innovative green technologies into the marketplace, helping spur economic investment in the clean energy sector and protect our environment, while maintaining New York’s position as a leader in sustainability,” Cuomo said. “By supporting clean energy research and production, the state is helping create green jobs in communities across New York, while ensuring that our environment is protected for generations to come.”
EE-MAP focuses on accelerating the market development of energy efficiency technologies by:
• Helping to accelerate their deployment;
• Attracting technology companies to New York State;
• Creating and facilitating market channels for energy efficiency technology companies;
• Assisting in the forming of strategic alliances and business development opportunities for technology companies; and
• Training engineers, contractors, and maintenance service providers in designing and installing energy efficiency products.
In addition, EE-MAP assists with developing energy efficiency master planning programs and efforts to create new energy efficiency markets in coordination with state agencies, authorities, and electric utilities to improve industry access to investments made at public facilities.
To support the initiative, NYPA has teamed with the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) and the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), a nonprofit collaborative research organization, to catalog state-of-the-art energy efficiency products and services, identify commercial trends, and screen and track emerging technologies.
Publication date: 10/15/2012