ATLANTA - The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) announced that it is awarding over $80,000 in scholarship money for the 2009-10 school year.
The 16 recipients of ASHRAE’s scholarship assistance are:
• Reuben Trane Scholarship: $10,000 to be awarded over two years, Daniela Sifuentes, George Fox University, mechanical engineering. The scholarship was established by Trane in memory of its founder.
• Willis H. Carrier Scholarships: $10,000 for one year, Sean Kolich, Kansas State University, architectural engineering, and Felipe Pincheira, Southern Illinois University, mechanical/civil engineering. The scholarship was established by Carrier Corp. in memory of its founder.
• Frank M. Coda Scholarship: $5,000 for one year, Andrea Gregg, Kansas State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship was created in memory of ASHRAE’s former executive vice president, who served from 1981-2004.
The following awards include one-year $3,000 scholarships:
• Duane Hanson Scholarship: Ryan Beaudrie, Lawrence Technological University, mechanical engineering. The scholarship was established by Gayner Engineers and is named for the company’s former president.
• Alwin B. Newton Scholarship: Kelly Griffith, Kansas State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship is named for an industry pioneer and ASHRAE fellow who was granted 219 patents.
• Henry Adams Scholarship: Dakota Kelley, University of Nebraska, architectural engineering. The scholarship was established by Henry Adams Inc. in memory of its founder, a Charter Member and sixth president of ASHRAE’S predecessor society.
• ASHRAE Region IV/Benny Bootle Scholarship: James Wood, Clemson University, general engineering. The scholarship was established collaboratively by Region IV and Benny Bootle, a former Region IV chair and regional director on the ASHRAE board of directors.
• ASHRAE Region VIII Scholarship: Andrew Cunningham, Oklahoma Christian University, mechanical engineering. This scholarship was established by Region VIII.
• J. Richard Mehalick Scholarship: Daniel Hehman, University of Pittsburgh, mechanical engineering. This scholarship was created by a former ASHRAE member.
• Donald E. Nichols Scholarship: Mallory Johnston, Tennessee Technological University, mechanical engineering. The scholarship was established by a former member of ASHRAE’s board of directors.
• ASHRAE Memorial Scholarship: James Moriarty, University of Connecticut, civil/environmental engineering.
• Associate of Engineering Technology: Craig Daniels, University of Northwestern Ohio, HVAC&R technology.
• Bachelor of Engineering Technology: Benjamin Lipscomb, Montana State University, mechanical engineering technology.
• ASHRAE General Scholarships: Sean Holder, St. Louis University, mechanical engineering and Jeremy Tucker, Portland State University, mechanical engineering.
Over the course of 20 years, ASHRAE has awarded a combined $991,000 to over 190 undergraduate and graduate students. For more information on ASHRAE scholarships, visit www.ashrae.org/scholarships.
Aug. 28, 2009: ASHRAE Announces Scholarships for 2009-10 School Year
August 28, 2009