Aug. 1, 2007: ASHRAE Announces Scholarship Winners, New Scholarship Web Page
The students, all pursuing courses leading to a career within the HVACR industry, will receive the following undergraduate ASHRAE scholarships:
• Reuben Trane Scholarships: $10,000 over two years, Luke Domermuth, North Carolina State University, mechanical engineering. The scholarship was established in 1991 when The Trane Co. established an endowment fund in memory of its founder.
• Willis H. Carrier Scholarship: $10,000 for one year, Ashley August, North Carolina A&T State University, architectural engineering; David Yarbrough, University of Arkansas, systems engineering. The scholarship was established by Carrier Corp. in memory of its founder, a pioneer in the HVACR industry known for his contributions to establishing air conditioning as an industry.
The following one-year $3,000 scholarships will be awarded:
• Henry Adams Scholarship: Brandon Boor, York College of Pennsylvania, mechanical engineering. The scholarship was established by the consulting firm of Henry Adams Inc. in memory of its founder.
• ASHRAE Region IV Benny Bootle Scholarship: Clinton Canaday, University of South Carolina, mechanical engineering. The scholarship’s namesake was a former ASHRAE Region IV chairman and regional director.
• Frank M. Coda Memorial Scholarship: Robert Shirey, University of Wisconsin, mechanical engineering/physics. The scholarship is named in memory of ASHRAE’s former executive vice president.
• Duane Hanson Scholarship: Tanushree Thote, University of Arkansas, biological engineering. The scholarship’s namesake was president of Gayner Engineers in San Francisco.
• Alwin B. Newton Scholarship: Lisa Kallemeyn, Hope College, mechanical engineering. The scholarship’s namesake was an industry pioneer who was granted 219 patents and strived to provide knowledge to younger people in the industry.
• Donald E. Nichols Scholarship: Hannah Barger, Tennessee Technical University, mechanical engineering. The scholarship’s namesake was a former ASHRAE vice president and a graduate of Tennessee Technological University.
• ASHRAE Region VIII Scholarship: Julius Morehead, University of Arkansas, mechanical engineering.
• ASHRAE Scholarships: Karen Bratsch, Winona State University, composite materials engineering; Justin Hill, University of Alabama, mechanical engineering; Blaine Hust, University of Minnesota, mechanical engineering; David Mutala, Oklahoma State University, industrial engineering and management; Shou-Chin Tang, University of Texas, mechanical engineering; Eric White, Southern Illinois University, mechanical engineering; Brittany Wingfield, Purdue University, industrial engineering.
• Memorial Scholarship: Brian Coulter, University of Western Ontario, mechanical engineering.
• Associate of Engineering Technology Scholarship: Timothy Cross, Black Hawk College, HVACR; Michael Lowe, State University of New York (Canton), air conditioning engineering technology.
• Bachelor’s Engineering Technology Scholarship: Michael Kalin, Wentworth Institute of Technology, mechanical engineering technology.
In addition, ASHRAE has launched a new Web page for its scholarship program - www.ashrae.org/scholarships. The page provides a summary of all ASHRAE scholarship opportunities for students seeking scholarship information, along with testimonials from former scholarship recipients.
For more information, visit the scholarships page or contact Lois Benedict, scholarship administrator, at email@example.com or 678-539-1120.
Publication date: 07/30/2007