CHANTILLY, Va. - The top apprentices in the unionized sheet metal industry competed for honors at the 35th Annual Sheet Metal Apprentice Contest. A total of 60 apprentices, representing the International Training Institute’s (ITI) 12 regions in the United States and western Canada, competed in five industry work areas - Architectural, HVAC, Industrial/Welding, Service, and TAB (testing, adjusting, and balancing).
The four-day competition was held in Indianapolis, and winners were later honored at an awards dinner.
Before arriving in Indianapolis, apprentices competed in local contests to earn their bid to the national competition.
The winners of this year’s apprentice contest include:
• First Place: Thomas N. Fuller II, Evansville, Ind., J.E. Shekell Inc.
• Second Place: Jeffrey D. Mercer, Pasco, Wash., SMK Tri-Cities Inc.
• Third Place: Nathan E. Harris, Fresno, Calif., New England Sheet Metal
• First Place: Brian E. Dahlman, New Lenox, Ill., Dahlman Sheet Metal
• Second Place: Kirk A Heilner, Churchville, Pa., Sheet Metal Fabricators Inc.
• Third Place: Nathan A Stamper, Platte City, Mo., Cox Air Systems
• First Place: Jason M. Balcom, Flushing, Mich., Absolut Balancing Co.
• Second Place: Mark T. Waltenbaugh Jr., LaPorte, Texas, Gowan Inc.
• Third Place: Joshua D. Howard, Terre Haute, Ind., Gibson Service
• First Place: David R. Wille, Harvard, Ill., Metalmaster
• Second Place: Nicholas R. Tamburo, Maplewood, Minn., John A. Daisin & Son
• Third Place: Derek J. Blessing, North Royalton, Ohio, S&D Architectural Metals
• First Place: Justin A. Gotsch, Hinckley, Ill., Wiesbrook Sheet Metal
• Second Place: Jeffrey B. Bradley, St. Louis, Coleman Heating & Sheet Metal
• Third Place: Kevin T. Flippo, Sacramento, Calif., Airco Mechanical Inc.