Bob and Tim have arrived at a “no cooling” call at a commercial building location. They went first to the thermostat and noticed that the indoor fan was running, but there was no cool air coming out of the air registers.
In an effort to reduce the more than 700 deaths that occur due to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning each year and ensure a safe winter heating season, northern Virginia HVAC contractor Jones-Rogers Inc. emphasizes the importance of an HVAC system check-up to avoid the risk of CO exposure.
Bob and Tim were on their way to a residence outside of town where the homeowners’ complaint was excess humidity in the house. When they arrived, they met the housewife and she told them, “The plumbing fixtures often sweat, there is mold in some of the closets, and mold is beginning to form in the laundry room.”
This troubleshooting problem brings you to a three-bedroom, ranch style home on a concrete slab, which, as most typically do in this area of the Southwest, employs a rooftop evaporative cooling system in the summer and an upflow forced-air gas furnace for heating in the winter. The customer says one of the bedrooms “just won’t get comfortable.”
Bob and Tim have been sent on a call to a house with no cooling. The system has just been installed and the construction crew has been having problems with startup. The system has a capillary tube metering device and Bob and Tim begin looking at what may be wrong.
This article deals with your personal safety when installing a new or replacement furnace. Topics covered include emergency procedures; clothing and safety gear; fall protection; electricity; lock out, tag out; GFCI; fuel safety; and confined spaces.
Bob and Tim were on their way to a residence where the occupants said their unit runs all day long, but the space temperature rises to 82°F while the thermostat is set at 75°. The unit shuts off during the night and the temperature inside is 75° in the morning, but during the day it rises.
In this month’s troubleshooting problem, you have been called by a colleague who is relatively new to HVACR to assist in repairing a split system in a manufactured home. The original diagnosis regarding this unit that is sitting dead was that the PCB 3-amp fuse was blown, and when it was replaced, the new fuse also failed.
Bob and Tim have gone back to the job with the grounded compressor. They changed the compressor yesterday and ran the unit for a few minutes, then shut the system down, leaving the crankcase heat on so they could start it up later. They now want to determine why the compressor burned.
For over 50 years, evaporative cooling products have been manufactured from hot-dip galvanized steel. Life expectancy of these units, when properly installed and maintained, has been excellent. In recent years, however, there have been reports of “white rust.” The critical fact that needs to be recognized is that white rust is preventable.