Featured Stories

The Professor: Don’t Forget About the Oil Check Valve

Dealing With Startup and System Problems
By John Tomczyk
No Comments

An overview of the oil check valve, which will only let oil pass from the compressor’s motor barrel to its crankcase.

Read More

Efficiency and Cost Concerns Drive Refrigeration Innovations

Technical Papers Examine New Ways to Work with Familiar Refrigerant
By Peter Powell
No Comments

When hundreds of ammonia refrigeration engineers, manufacturers, contractors, and end users gather in one place, technical talk is sure to follow.

Read More

TAB Analysis Critical for Building Efficiency

Testing & Balancing Can Make Buildings Run Like a Well-Tuned Car
By Cherie Preville
No Comments

Testing, adjusting, and balancing (TAB) contractors diagnose performance shortfalls and make sure a building works as it is designed to, whether it’s newly constructed or an existing edifice.

Read More

Ice Breaker: Gauging the Importance of the Service Ticket

Written Documentation an Important Part of Call
By Joe Marchese
No Comments

Techs may not see the importance of the service ticket, but they should, since it can be an accurate reflection of him and his work. 

Read More

Heat Pumps Riding a Wave of Popularity

Shipments Grow by Double Digits, Trend Expected to Continue
By Joanna R. Turpin
One Comment

Manufacturers had a lot to like about last year. According to the Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI), shipments of equipment increased in just about every category in 2013. Especially notable were shipments of air-source heat pumps, which were up 16 percent over 2012.

Read More

Contrasting Classic and Contemporary Approaches to HVAC Marketing

What Works for Some Contractors Might Not Work for Others
By Matt Bishop
No Comments

What works and what doesn’t work in a small business seems to evolve on a daily basis. This mantra rings especially true in the realm of HVAC marketing. Although digital marketing is gaining steam and popularity with contractors, some aren’t convinced the traditional means of advertising are dead yet.

Read More

Heat Pumps Gaining Interest Nationwide

Contractors Boost Sales by Offering Energy-Efficient Options
By Joanna R. Turpin
No Comments

Sales of air-source heat pumps used to be concentrated primarily in the Southern U.S., but that is changing as consumers become more aware of their energy-saving capabilities. In fact, in many markets, it may be more cost-effective to use an air-source heat pump for the majority of a homeowner’s heating and cooling needs.

Read More

Heat Pumps Designed to Save Energy

High-Efficiency Equipment in High Demand
By Joanna R. Turpin
2 Comments

The energy-efficiency ratings of residential air-source heat pumps have risen dramatically over the last few years, with many manufacturers now offering equipment well exceeding the 20-SEER mark. There have been significant gains made in commercial heat pump efficiencies as well.

Read More

My Two Cents: Maximizing Your Trade Show Space

Approachability, Attitude, Posture, and Planning Keys to Success
By Butch Welsch
No Comments

We have been exhibiting in the home builders’ home shows here in the St. Louis area for more than 60 years. While so many things have changed in so many ways over the years, it amazes me that exhibits in shows like these haven’t really changed much at all.

Read More

My First Online Teaching Experience

I Often Find Myself Talking to My Computer
By John Siegenthaler, PE
No Comments

Last fall, I taught my first online course dealing with designing hydronic heating systems. The course was titled “Mastering Hydronic System Design.” It was a collaborative effort between HeatSpring Learning Institute, BNP Media’s CE Campus, and myself.

Read More

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

2014 Energy Efficiency Forum

Highlights from the 25th annual Energy Efficiency Forum in Washington, D.C.

Podcasts

NEWSMakers: Joseph Groh

Joseph Groh, an industry veteran boasting 35 years of HVAC experience, discusses the 2008 bicycle accident that cut his career tragically short, and how the Joseph S. Groh Foundation is his way of giving back to the construction trade. Posted on Aug. 22.

More Podcasts

ACHRNEWS

NEWS 08-25-14 cover

2014 August 25

Check out the weekly edition of The NEWS today!

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Prohibiting HFCs

EPA is proposing a rule that would prohibit some HFCs in select refrigeration applications. Do you agree with this move?
View Results Poll Archive

HVACR INDUSTRY STORE

plumbing-hvac.gif
2014 National Plumbing & HVAC Estimator

Every plumbing and HVAC estimator can use the cost estimates in this practical manual!

More Products

Clear Seas Research

Clear Seas ResearchWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications, Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.

DON'T MISS A THING

Magazine image

Register today for complete access to ACHRNews.com. Get full access to the latest features, Extra Edition, and more.

STAY CONNECTED

facebook icontwitter iconyoutube iconLinkedIn i con