Editors Blog


Taking Care of Business: CO Poisoning Kills Sisters, Why?

June 16, 2008
/ Print / Reprints /
ShareMore
/ Text Size+

Two sisters, ages 29 and 25, died last week in Ohio, victims of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. They went to check on a home that one had just purchased and had been using a gas generator to keep a sump pump running in the basement. Apparently the build-up of CO from the unvented generator quickly overcame them and they could not escape.

One of the sisters had three children under the age of six. I debated this topic with some industry professionals who I often visit with at Dan Holohan’s “Wall” (www.heatinghelp.com). And many came to the conclusion that the sisters were ultimately to blame for their own deaths. They should have known better because placing a gas generator in an unvented area is something everyone should recognize as a no-no.

That is flawed logic.

Even if the generator manufacturer had warning labels on the product, is that enough to warn someone who knows little, if anything, about CO? Should friends or family have known better and warned the women of the imminent danger they faced?

In other words, should the old saying of “being your brother’s keeper” apply in this case?

I emphatically say, YES.

Ultimately, it is the responsibility of all of us to educate and warn the public - through constant bombardment of information as well as new warning devices from manufacturers.

How about fluorescent orange coloring with warnings in big block letters on a permanent tag affixed to the generator?

How about all of us showing our moral responsibility so that little children don’t lose their mother?
You must login or register in order to post a comment.

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

2014 Energy Efficiency Forum

Highlights from the 25th annual Energy Efficiency Forum in Washington, D.C.

Podcasts

NEWSMakers: Mark Satterfield

Mark Satterfield, founder and CEO of Gentle Rain Marketing Inc. and author of “The One Week Marketing Plan” talks about his book and the importance of HVAC blogging. Posted on Sept. 19.

More Podcasts

ACHRNEWS

NEWS 09-15-14 cover

2014 September 15

Check out the weekly edition of The NEWS today!

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Venting R-22

The NEWS reported that a man received prison time for venting R-22. Should EPA step up enforcement?
View Results Poll Archive

HVACR INDUSTRY STORE

plumbing-hvac.gif
2014 National Plumbing & HVAC Estimator

Every plumbing and HVAC estimator can use the cost estimates in this practical manual!

More Products

Clear Seas Research

 

Clear Seas ResearchWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications, Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.

DON'T MISS A THING

Magazine image
 
Register today for complete access to ACHRNews.com. Get full access to the latest features, Extra Edition, and more.

STAY CONNECTED

facebook icontwitter iconyoutube iconLinkedIn i con