- Residential Market
- Light Commercial Market
- Commercial Market
- Indoor Air Quality
- Components & Accessories
- Residential Controls
- Commercial Controls
- Testing, Monitoring, Tools
- Services, Apps & Software
- Standards & Legislation
- EXTRA EDITION
“The economic health of America depends on the availability of qualified, skilled workers,” said James T. Ryan, Grainger president and chief executive officer. “Grainger is proud to help students complete their technical education through our Tools for Tomorrow scholarship program.”
The expansion comes at the beginning of the third year of the Grainger Tools for Tomorrow program. The scholarship program provides funding for students at select community colleges throughout the nation to finish their second year of a technical career program such as HVAC, plumbing, and others. Upon graduation, the program recognizes their achievement with a Westward® tool package to successfully launch their careers.
“Students enrolled in technical career programs will help to meet a serious and growing skills gap in our country,” said George R. Boggs president of the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC). “By stepping up to support their efforts, Grainger is not only helping deserving students, but the company is also investing in our nation’s economic success.”
Grainger and the AACC continue to work together to promote the scholarship program, and to date, Grainger has helped 16 students complete their technical education programs as part of this effort.
The 2008 participating schools include:
• Athens Technical College, Athens, Ga.
• Central Virginia Community College, Lynchburg, Va.
• Cincinnati State and Technical College, Cincinnati
• College of Lake County, Grayslake, Ill.
• Community College of Allegheny County, Pittsburgh
• Community College of Baltimore County, Baltimore
• Community College of Southern Nevada, Las Vegas
• Elgin Community College, Elgin, Ill.
• Fletcher Technical Community College, Houma, La.
• Florida Community College, Jacksonville, Fla.
• GateWay Community College, Phoenix
• Gateway Community College, New Haven, Conn.
• Henry Ford Community College, Detroit
• Honolulu Community College, Honolulu
• Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana, Indianapolis
• Joliet Junior College, Joliet, Ill.
• Kirkwood Community College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
• LA Trade Tech, Los Angeles
• Metropolitan Community College, Kansas City, Mo.
• Miami Dade College, Miami
• Milwaukee Area Technical College, Milwaukee
• Minneapolis Community and Technical College, Minneapolis
• North Lake College, Irving, Texas
• Portland Community College, Portland, Ore.
• Queensborough Community College, Bayside, N.Y.
• Red Rocks Community College, Lakewood, Co.
• Saddleback College, Mission Viejo, Calif.
• Salt Lake Community College, Salt Lake City
• San Jose City College, San Jose, Calif.
• South Seattle Community College, Seattle
• Springfield Technical Community College, Springfield, Mass.
• St. Louis Community College, St. Louis
• St. Paul College, Twin Cities, Minn.
• U of Alaska Fairbanks-Tanana, Fairbanks, Alaska
• South Texas College, McAllen, Texas
Students attending one of the above mentioned schools interested in applying for a scholarship should contact the dean of the trade program.
Publication date: 09/15/2008