- Residential Market
- Light Commercial Market
- Commercial Market
- Indoor Air Quality
- Components & Accessories
- Residential Controls
- Commercial Controls
- Testing, Monitoring, Tools
- Services, Apps & Software
- Standards & Legislation
- EXTRA EDITION
The company earned this distinction by successfully demonstrating its commitment to environmental stewardship throughout its organization. According to MSCA, the GreenStar designation is evidence that W.E. Bowers possesses the skills and expertise necessary to deliver energy-efficient, cost-effective indoor environmental solutions to meet customers’ needs and ensure tenant safety, health, and comfort.
“We want the community to know that we truly care for the environment and this belief strongly influences the way we do business,” said Kenneth Colburn, executive vice president of W.E. Bowers. “We are very proud to be the first company to attain the GreenStar designation and to have an organization like MSCA recognize our commitment to green and sustainability. We would like to thank MSCA for being a leader in the mechanical service industry by providing education on environmental issues and for their establishment of GreenStar.”
W.E. Bowers has been a member of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) since 2007 and it is currently involved in several LEED EB projects in the Washington metropolitan area including the headquarters building of National Geographic Society, the first building to obtain LEED EB certification in 2003. Bowers has implemented an in-house green policy which includes a recycling program, hybrid vehicles, water conservation initiatives, in-house training, and more.
“MSCA is pleased to recognize W.E. Bowers as our first GreenStar contractor,” commented MSCA Executive Director Barbara Dolim. “They have truly demonstrated their dedication to environmental issues and placed the highest degree of importance on educating and training all their employees and customers on these crucial concerns. W.E. Bowers has clearly established the company as a leader in sustainable service exemplifying an MSCA STAR contractor who has embraced environmental stewardship.”
To qualify for MSCA GreenStar, a contractor must first qualify as an MSCA STAR contractor. MSCA STAR is a qualification program that recognizes contractors who meet or exceed rigorous operating and training standards set by MSCA. In addition, to become a GreenStar, an MSCA STAR contractor must meet the following criteria:
• Employ at least one LEED Accredited Professional.
• Be a member of the USGBC - either with a local chapter or the national organization.
• Verify that at least 25 percent of total employees have participated in a green training or education program.
• Demonstrate that it promotes environmental responsibility by offering specific sustainable services and recommending green procedures and equipment.
• Establish an internal commitment to green by attaining LEED certification, of any type, for its building, or by developing an internal “green policy.”
• Have participated as part of a project team with a LEED EB or LEED NC registered project within the past three years.
GreenStar applications are reviewed and approved by a third-party independent company.
For more information about MSCA GreenStar, visit www.mscastar.org/greenstar.
Publication date: 08/04/2008