Aug. 29, 2012: ASHRAE Awards Scholarships for 2012-13 School Year
“Engineers build our future, so we want to help build up future engineers,” said William Murphy, Ph.D., P.E., chair of the Scholarship Trustees. “Many of the ASHRAE scholarship recipients are already working in the industry part time and some are exploring careers in various areas of HVACR. We hope that this added exposure to the industry will lead to employment opportunities for them in the field during and after college.”
The recipients of ASHRAE’s scholarship funds include:
• Reuben Trane Scholarship: $10,000 to be awarded over two years, Drew Miller, University of Nevada-Las Vegas, mechanical engineering and business management; Kody Jones, Oklahoma State University, mechanical engineering; and Paul Nelson, North Dakota State University, mechanical engineering. The scholarship was established by the Trane Co. in memory of its founder.
• Willis H. Carrier Scholarships: $10,000 for one year, Elizabeth McLean, Kettering University, mechanical engineering; and Patrick McGrail, Kansas State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship was established by the Carrier Corp. in memory of its founder.
• Frank M. Coda: $5,000 for one year, Jayson Bursill, University of British Columbia, mechanical engineering. The scholarship was created in memory of ASHRAE’s former executive vice president, who served from 1981-2004.
• David C.J. Peters Scholarship: $5,000 for one year, Julia Pollard, California Polytechnic State University-San Louis Obispo. The scholarship, new for the 2012-13 school year, is awarded to a third-year student in a four-year undergraduate mechanical engineering program or a fourth-year student in a five-year undergraduate mechanical engineering program at Pennsylvania State University, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University or California State University at San Louis Obispo. The scholarship was created by Southland Industries to honor Peters, an advocate of recruiting quality.
The following awards are one-year $3,000 scholarships:
• Boggarm S. Setty Scholarship: Jared Levy, University of Maryland, mechanical engineering. This scholarship, new for the 2012-13 school year, is awarded to an undergraduate engineering student attending an institution within ASHRAE Region III, which covers Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. An ASHRAE Fellow and a member since 1972, Setty has served on more than 50 technical committees for the society.
• Duane Hanson Scholarship: Cody Knuth, Kansas State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship was established by Gayner Engineers and is named for the company’s former president.
• Alwin B. Newton Scholarship: John Heineken, Missouri University of Science and Technogloy, mechanical engineering. The scholarship is named for an industry pioneer and ASHRAE Fellow who was granted 219 patents.
• Henry Adams Scholarship: Alexander Pray, University of Colorado-Boulder, architectural engineering. The scholarship was established by Henry Adams Inc. in memory of its founder, a Charter Member and sixth president of ASHRAE’S predecessor society, ASHVE, established in 1899.
• ASHRAE Region IV/Benny Bootle Scholarship: Lauren Bridgers, East Carolina University, mechanical engineering. The scholarship was established collaboratively by Region IV and Benny Bootle, a former Region IV director and regional chair on the ASHRAE board of directors.
• Donald E. Nichols Scholarship: Arturo de Jesus Santa Ruiz, Tennessee Technological University, mechanical engineering. The scholarship is awarded to a full-time undergraduate engineering student attending Tennessee Technological University. It is named for a former ASHRAE vice president and graduate of Tennessee Technological University.
• ASHRAE Memorial Scholarship: Joshua Kavanaugh, University of Alabama, mechanical engineering.
• ASHRAE General Scholarships: Yu Ho Kwok, University of Hong Kong, building services engineering; and Jingyu Lee, Illinois Institute of Technology, architectural engineering.
• Bachelor of Engineering Technology Scholarship: Yoginder Rana, Ferris State University, HVAC&R technology.
• High School Senior Scholarships: Jonathan Hankenhof, University of Cincinnati, mechanical/architectural engineering; and Katlyn McDermott, University of Missouri, mechanical engineering. The scholarships were established in 2010 for high school seniors entering their freshman year of college in an engineering or engineering technology program.
Over the course of 22 years ASHRAE has awarded over $1 million to approximately 250 students. For more information on ASHRAE scholarships, visit www.ashrae.org/scholarships. Applications are now being accepted for 2013-14 scholarships. Deadline is Dec. 1, 2012.
Publication date: 8/27/2012