- Residential Market
- Light Commercial Market
- Commercial Market
- Indoor Air Quality
- Components & Accessories
- Residential Controls
- Commercial Controls
- Testing, Monitoring, Tools
- Services, Apps & Software
- Standards & Legislation
- EXTRA EDITION
The students, all pursuing courses leading to a career in the HVACR industry, will receive the following undergraduate scholarships:
• Reuben Trane Scholarships: $10,000 over two years, Jonathan Jenkins, University of Kansas, architectural engineering; Carrie Baughman, North Carolina State University, mechanical engineering; and Ashanti Hepburn, NC A&T State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship was established in 1991 when The Trane Co. established an endowment fund in memory of its founder.
• Willis H. Carrier Scholarship: $10,000 for one year, Felipe Pinsheira, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, mechanical engineering; James Newman, Kansas State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship was established by Carrier Corp. in memory of its founder, a pioneer in the HVACR industry known for his contributions to establishing air conditioning as an industry.
• Frank M. Coda Memorial Scholarship: $5,000 for one year, Martin Nolan, City College of the City University of New York, mechanical engineering. The scholarship is named in memory of ASHRAE’s former executive vice president.
The following one-year $3,000 scholarships will be awarded:
• Henry Adams Scholarship: Alyssa Adams, Pennsylvania State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship was established by the consulting firm of Henry Adams Inc. in memory of its founder.
• Duane Hanson Scholarship: Susan Nagel, Kansas State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship’s namesake was president of Gayner Engineers in San Francisco.
• Alwin B. Newton Scholarship: James Gawthrop, Pennsylvania State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship’s namesake was an industry pioneer who was granted 219 patents and strived to provide knowledge to younger people in the industry.
• ASHRAE Region VIII Scholarship: Tanushree Thote, University of Arkansas, biological engineering.
• ASHRAE Scholarships: Clinton Gechter, University of Kansas, architectural engineering; and Paul Schack, University of Wisconsin-Madison, electrical engineering.
• Memorial Scholarship: Eric White, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, mechanical engineering.
• Associate of Engineering Technology Scholarship: Jeffrey Normandy, Massasoit Community College, HVAC technology; Benjamin LaRose, State University of New York (Canton), air-conditioning engineering technology.
• Bachelor’s Engineering Technology Scholarship: Jeffrey Hansen, Alfred State University (SUNY), mechanical engineering technology.
ASHRAE has awarded 180 scholarships during the past 19 years totaling more than $925,000. The ASHRAE scholarship program encourages and assists HVACR education through scholarships and fellowships.
In addition, ASHRAE has launched a Web page for its scholarship program - www.ashrae.org/scholarships. The page provides a summary of all ASHRAE scholarship opportunities for students seeking scholarship information, along with testimonials from former scholarship recipients.
For more information, visit the scholarship program page or contact Lois Benedict, scholarship administrator, at email@example.com.
Publication date: 08/04/2008