Nov. 6, 2006: ACCA Joins With CDC and CPSC to Promote Carbon Monoxide Safety
According to the organizations, CO poisoning causes over 500 deaths each year in the United States. CO is an odorless, colorless gas produced by burning fossil fuels. Sometimes concentrations reach dangerous levels, but because you can't see it, smell it, taste it, or touch it, homeowners must take precautions to protect themselves and their families.
It is recommended that homeowners engage the services of qualified licensed contractors to annually inspect and adjust all fossil fuel heating devices - any gas-, oil-, coal-, or wood-burning appliances or equipment within the home. To make sure that technicians do the proper check, ACCA has prepared a list of actions that should be undertaken by qualified technicians and made it available on its Website at www.acca.org/carbonmonoxide.pdf.
Each home should have at least one carbon monoxide detector, and preferably one on each floor and/or placed outside of any sleeping areas. Much like smoke detectors, batteries should be replaced twice a year, and the monitors themselves retired and replaced according to manufacturer specifications.
For more information on this issue, visit the Websites of the participating organizations at:
CPSC: www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/5010.html and www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/464.pdf
Publication date: 11/06/2006