The 2014 ASHRAE Handbook—Refrigeration, which covers refrigeration equipment and systems for applications other than human comfort, is now available for purchase.
The 51 chapters include information on cooling, freezing, and storing food; industrial applications of refrigeration; and low-temperature refrigeration.
“The 2014 ASHRAE Refrigeration Handbook continues to provide the practicing refrigeration engineer with the data and information necessary to safe and efficient processing and storage of food and pharmaceuticals but the Handbook is evolving,” Dan Dettmers, volume chair, said. “With the industry’s growing interest in the category of ‘natural’ refrigerants, the dedicated technical committees have updated the Handbook chapters on ammonia and carbon dioxide refrigeration systems.
“These chapters, traditionally focused on industrial systems, are finding new fans in the commercial realm as zero ozone depletion potential/global warming potential refrigerants are requested by our customers.”
Updates and changes to the 2014 volume include, according to ASHRAE (www.ashrae.org/bookstore), the following:
• Reworking of insulation tables in Chapter 10, Insulation Systems for Refrigerant Piping, to comply with ASTM Standard C680-10.
• Extensive reorganization of Chapter 2, Ammonia Refrigeration Systems, to reflect current practices.
• Addition of new sections on additives and process chemicals to Chapter 6, Refrigerant System Chemistry.
• Addition of moisture isotherm data for R-290 and R-600a and a new section on system sampling Chapter 7, Control of Moisture and Other Contaminants in Refrigerant Systems.
• Expansion of the focus on hydrofluorocarbons and addition of chemical information and guidance on retrofits to Chapter 12, Lubricants in Refrigerant Systems.
The ASHRAE Handbook is published in two editions: inch-pound (I-P) units of measurement and the International System of Units (SI).
The 2014 volume is also available as one of the four current volumes included in the ASHRAE Handbook Online.
To order, contact ASHRAE Customer Contact Center at 800-527-4723 (United States and Canada) or 404-636-8400 (worldwide), fax 678-539-2129, or visit www.ashrae.org/bookstore.