HVAC contractor found a family in potentially life threatening danger while conducting routine service
February 15, 2016
On Jan. 12, 2016, Paul McElwee, a CroppMetcalfe HVAC technician, visited a home in Maryland on a no-heat service call. Shortly after entering the home, McElwee identified the problem as a cracked heat exchanger. The cracked heat exchanger was leaking dangerous levels of carbon monoxide (CO) into the home.
Service Experts survey questioned homeowners in the U.S. and Canada
November 18, 2015
While 94 percent of homeowners know that the furnace can release deadly carbon monoxide gas, more than half (53.7 percent) don’t take simple steps that can prevent that from happening. That is a major finding of a survey completed on behalf of Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning.
The SCM4 carbon monoxide detector from Fieldpiece Instruments includes a field replaceable smart sensor that’s fast enough for walk-around tests. Visual and audio alerts increase proportionally in frequency as the concentration of CO increases.
Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley has signed legislation (HB 2/SB 173) into law that requires the installation of carbon monoxide (CO) detectors in new and substantially remodeled public schools in the state.