- Residential Market
- Light Commercial Market
- Commercial Market
- Indoor Air Quality
- Components & Accessories
- Residential Controls
- Commercial Controls
- Testing, Monitoring, Tools
- Services, Apps & Software
- Standards & Legislation
- EXTRA EDITION
The students, all pursuing courses leading to a career within the industry, will receive the following undergraduate ASHRAE scholarships:
• Reuben Trane Scholarships: $10,000 over two years - Jonathan Jenkins, University of Kansas, architectural engineering; Carrie Baughman, North Carolina State University, mechanical engineering; and Ashanti Hepburn, NC A&T State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship was established in 1991 when The Trane Co. established an endowment fund in memory of its founder.
• Willis H. Carrier Scholarship: $10,000 for one year - Felipe Pinsheira, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, mechanical engineering; James Newman, Kansas State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship was established by Carrier Corp. in memory of its founder.
• Frank M. Coda Memorial Scholarships: $5,000 for one year - Martin Nolan, City College of the City University of New York, mechanical engineering. The scholarship is named in memory of ASHRAE’s former executive vice president.
The following one-year $3,000 scholarships were also awarded:
• Henry Adams Scholarship: Alyssa Adams, Pennsylvania State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship was established by the consulting firm of Henry Adams Inc. in memory of its founder.
• Duane Hanson Scholarship: Susan Nagel, Kansas State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship’s namesake was president of Gayner Engineers in San Francisco.
• Alwin B. Newton Scholarship: James Gawthrop, Pennsylvania State University, architectural engineering. The scholarship’s namesake was an industry pioneer who was granted 219 patents and strived to provide knowledge to younger people in the industry.
• ASHRAE Region VIII Scholarship: Tanushree Thote, University of Arkansas, biological engineering.
• ASHRAE Scholarships: Clinton Gechter, University of Kansas, architectural engineering; and Paul Schack, University of Wisconsin-Madison, electrical engineering.
• Memorial Scholarship: Eric White, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, mechanical engineering.
• Associate of Engineering Technology Scholarship: Jeffrey Normandy, Massasoit Community College, HVAC technology; Benjamin LaRose, State University of New York (Canton), air-conditioning engineering technology.
• Bachelor’s Engineering Technology Scholarship: Jeffrey Hansen, Alfred State University (SUNY), mechanical engineering technology.
ASHRAE has awarded 180 scholarships during the past 19 years totaling more than $925,000.
Publication date: 10/13/2008