ACHRNEWS

Two Ohio Residents Die From CO Poisoning

November 19, 2004
EASTLAKE, Ohio - A dead squirrel that was stuck in a chimney is being blamed for the carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning deaths of a man and woman in their home in Eastlake, a Cleveland suburb.

The couple was discovered in their home by a relative on Nov. 13. They had been living in Florida and had recently returned to attend a wedding.

The home's thermostat was set to 52 degrees, which could have caused the furnace to start, filling the house with CO gas before they arrived. Police said there were no CO detectors in the home.

Publication date: 11/22/2004