Fueled by a strong economy, low interest rates, and a growing replacement market, shipments of heating-cooling equipment last year totaled 14.6 million, an all-time high, and 11% higher than shipments in 1997.
The chart shows five categories of equipment. Last year’s shipments,
by each category, were:
- Unitary, including heat pumps — 6,239,978, up 16%;
- Central heating, including furnaces and boilers (all fuels) — 3,438,656, up 5%;
- Room air conditioners — 4,287,000, up 12%;
- Large-tonnage centrifugal chillers — 7,558, down 14%; and
- Direct heating equipment — 660,978, down 7%.
Data were provided by ARI, GAMA, AHAM.