July 6, 2007: Trane, American Standard Announce Air Cleaning Unit Recall
July 6, 2007
Trane and American Standard, together with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), are announcing a voluntary recall of certain models of the Trane CleanEffects™ and the American Standard AccuClean™ whole-house air cleaning units. The solution to the recall includes simply replacing existing collection cells with newly designed collection cells that are able to withstand excessive moisture.
The following information is being sent to all consumers who have purchased either of the products. More information will appear in the July 16 print edition of The NEWS.
Trane and American Standard received isolated reports of collection cell failures in a very small number of installed systems - less than 1/10th of 1 percent of air cleaners - due to exposure to excessive moisture which can result in overheating and the possibility of flames in the collection cell. The collection cell is an internal component of the air cleaner. Trane and American Standard have received no reports of injury and no reports of property damage other than to the air cleaning and air conditioning equipment itself.
Dealers will be contacting customers to schedule an appointment to replace the collection cells in affected air cleaners. Replacement is estimated to take about 15 minutes. There will be no charge to the customer or dealer for this service.
If a Trane CleanEffects or American Standard AccuClean air cleaner is installed with an air handler, the customer is advised to turn off the air cleaning system until the dealer can install the replacement collection cells. The air conditioner will continue to work as usual.
To turn off the power to the Trane CleanEffects or American Standard AccuClean unit, push and hold the round power button on the front of the air cleaner door for approximately three seconds until the LED panel illuminates. Release the power button. The LED panel will remain lit for approximately 15 seconds and then go out.
If a Trane CleanEffects or American Standard AccuClean air cleaner is installed with a gas or oil furnace, the customer is not required to turn off the air cleaner. However, the collection cells in furnace installations will be replaced similarly to those with air handlers.
If Trane customers need assistance in contacting their dealer or have questions about this process:
• contact Trane at 888-556-0125 between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (CDT), Monday through Friday
• visit the company’s web site at www.trane.com. If you own an affected CleanEffects unit, go to the trane.com homepage and select “Residential” located in the lower right corner then click on “Important Information for CleanEffects Owners” located in the lower center of the page under “Do you already own a Trane system?”
• send an inquiry via email by going to www.trane.com/Residential/CustomerCare/Feedback.aspx.
If American Standard customers need assistance in contacting their dealer or have questions about this process:
• contact American Standard at 888-556-0125 between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (CDT), Monday through Friday
• visit the company’s web site at www.americanstandardair.com. If you own an affected AccuClean unit, go to the americanstandardair.com homepage and click on “Important Information for AccuClean Owners” located in the lower right corner under “Quick Answers.”
• send an inquiry via e-mail by going to www.americanstandardair.com/SiteInfo/ContactUs.aspx.
Publication date: 07/02/2007