ACHRNEWS

Iowa Residents Get CO Tips

November 23, 2004
AMES, Iowa - In a recent issue of the Iowa State Daily, readers were warned about the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning now that winter weather is approaching.

In the article, Paul Sandoval, deputy chief for the Ames Fire Department, commented on CO poisoning. "We only get about 65 calls about carbon monoxide, and the number of times that we actually have elevated levels is around three to four times per year," he said. "It can be deadly in certain circumstances, like if you're in a confined area with no ventilation."

Lt. John Johnson, fire marshal for the Ames Fire Department, told the Daily that his department investigates houses with high levels of CO to determine the sources.

"Old furnaces, combustion not being complete, or appliances running inefficiently can all be causes," he said. "People need a lot of education to be able to identify these kind of problems before they come up."

Publication date: 11/29/2004