Gargaro's World: That Is a Bad Answer
August 17, 2009
I am sure all contractors have heard some pretty bad and awkward answers when interviewing candidates for a job opening. Some applicants are not so quick on their feet, while others don’t handle their nervousness real well. And then, of course, there is the fact that 10 percent of the population are morons.
Well, let’s see if anything you have heard during a job interview can top this list. A survey of some top executives from U.S. corporations produced some of these gems that ended up in my e-mail inbox last week:
• Balding applicant abruptly excused himself and returned to the office a few minutes later, wearing a hairpiece.
• Applicant claimed to be so well qualified that if he didn’t get the job, it would prove the company’s management was incompetent.
• Applicant wore a Walkman, claiming she could listen to the interviewer and the music at the same time.
• Applicant asked interviewer if he would put on a suit jacket to ensure the offer was formal.
• Applicant refused to get out of his chair until interviewer agreed to hire him. Interviewer had to call the police to have him removed.
• Applicant pulled out a Polaroid camera and snapped a flash picture of the interviewer. He claimed to collect photos of everyone who interviewed him.
• During the interview, an alarm clock went off in the applicant’s briefcase. He took it out, apologized, and said he had to leave for another interview.
I would love to hear some of your bad interview stories. Please share.