ACHRNEWS

Fire Chief Says Natural Gas Explosion Linked to Furnace

December 19, 2001
DETROIT, MI — A natural gas explosion leveled a ranch home in the Detroit suburb of Waterford, MI in the early morning of Dec. 18, and friends and firefighters are calling it a miracle. According to the Detroit Free Press, the home’s two occupants and two dogs survived the blast.

Waterford Fire Captain Fred Arnold suspects a faulty furnace was to blame despite the fact that $500.00 worth of repairs were made to the furnace in the past month, according to the homeowner’s brother.

Consumers Energy, which is also investigating the explosion, advise homeowners to have their furnaces checked by a reputable company at least once a year and to report suspicious or unfamiliar odors to the local gas utility.

Publication date: 12/17/2001