ACHRNEWS

Dec. 11, 2002: Carolina Snowstorms Spawn CO Deaths

December 11, 2002
Last week’s winter storm along the eastern U.S was responsible for a number of deaths from automobile accidents. But it has also been blamed for at least three deaths due to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

According to a CBS News report, three North Carolina residents died from CO poisoning while trying to keep their homes warm. They had used fuels not normally burned indoors to fight off the cold.

The report said, “Two people died of carbon monoxide poisoning over the weekend after burning outdoor fuels inside their homes. Epifanio Arody Navarro, 32, of Durham died in his bed after residents brought a charcoal grill inside the house, police said. In Shelby, a man died and his wife was hospitalized after they ran a generator on an enclosed sun porch, police said.

“The mayor of Charlotte said a woman died after burning charcoal in her fireplace.”

Publication date: 12/09/2002