ACHRNEWS

Aug. 1, 2003: Honeywell Worker Dies After Chemical Leak

August 1, 2003
BATON ROUGE, La. — A worker at a Honeywell International chemical plant here has died after being exposed to a chemical leak, just 10 days after a July 20 chlorine leak hospitalized eight workers as well as some area residents, who complained of burning lungs and other irritations.

Delvin Henry was pronounced dead on Wednesday, July 30, at Baton Rouge General Medical Center. The day before a container holding antimony pentachloride leaked, according to officials, damaging Henry’s lungs. The chemical is said to be a corrosive that can burn the skin and irritate the nose, mouth, throat, and lungs.

Plant manager Jim McCormick released a written statement on Wednesday noting, “Our deepest sympathies are with his family and friends at this difficult time.”

The plant was shut down following the leak. On Thursday, July 31, Nance Dicciani, chief executive officer of Honeywell’s Specialty Materials operation, visited the plant and stated that it will not resume production “until I know it will operate safely,” she told Baton Rouge’s The Advocate.

In addition to Honeywell safety officials, federal, state, and local investigators are looking into the leaks.

Publication date: 07/28/2003