The event’s 31,000 square feet of exhibiting floor space has been sold out for a month as 80 companies will fill the floor with their interactive displays. The show is geared toward HVAC, plumbing, and electrical contractors.
The information is out in cyberspace when you need it, but you have to be willing to go get it. Becoming proficient in finding information when you need it can save you time and frustration on many jobs.
Many HVAC business owners and managers who have had to break employees of bad habits can attest that while there is no exact scientific method for modifying employee behavior, there are a few common methods industry professionals swear by.
Even if you don’t fall into the 20 percent of the population that has a chronic problem with procrastination, the remaining 80 percent of people still experience procrastination from time to time. Procrastinating can jeopardize some of our goals; it’s self-sabotaging. So why do we do it?
According to industry experts, it’s all too common for contractors to make the mistake of waiting until they’re desperate to sell before properly assessing their company’s value and working to make it attractive to potential buyers.
At the end of the day, it is imperative that contractors do not lose focus of the fundamentals, which, in the HVAC world, include performing a correct installation while providing superior customer service.
Let’s imagine a call is booked with your company, but the customer calls in to cancel. What happens next? Do your customer service representatives (CSRs) simply say, “OK, thanks”? Every successful company should have a plan for following up on lost opportunities along with missed opportunities.
More than three-quarters — 77 percent — of consumers who decided on the brand they wanted to purchase before choosing the installing contractor used the internet to research their purchases.These are the buying habits of your customers. It is important that you know this information and, more importantly, that you know how to use it to your advantage.
We are all doing our parts working toward a mutual goal of company success. While a pleasant and relaxed family atmosphere is of the utmost importance here, we do our best to keep a healthy balance in terms of coworker relationships.