A giant sandstone manor stands in the center of Hanover, Pa. It was built in 1896 for Howard Young, one of the industrial town’s early movers and shakers.
As the town grew, so did the mansion. The Youngs sold the home to the Hanover Shoe Co. in 1945, then one of the fastest growing firms in the nation. Hanover shoes — whose managers were known for their ambitious effort to sell the best shoes possible for one price, $2.50 a pair, while eliminating the middle-man by selling directly to the public — quickly renovated the home as a corporate office facility.