- Residential Market
- Light Commercial Market
- Commercial Market
- Indoor Air Quality
- Components & Accessories
- Residential Controls
- Commercial Controls
- Testing, Monitoring, Tools
- Services, Apps & Software
- Standards & Legislation
- EXTRA EDITION
The following certifications are being developed:
• Crew Leader — The crew leader supervises the retrofitting activities specified in the scope of work. He or she is responsible for interacting with the client as well as managing personnel and materials on the job site in a safe and effective manner. The crew leader is also responsible for quality control, testing procedures, documentation, and conducting a final walk through to ensure that all work is completed in a satisfactory manner.
• Energy Auditor — The energy auditor is a building analyst who evaluates and analyzes buildings and their energy efficiency, health, and safety aspects by gathering empirical data, conducting tests, and using energy modeling software. The goal is to reduce energy consumption, improve health and safety, and increase the lifespan of a building while also improving the quality of life and comfort for building occupants.
• Retrofit Installer/Technician — The installer installs energy efficiency measures to single-family or two to four unit homes using a variety of building science best practices to improve safety, comfort, durability, indoor air quality, and energy efficiency.
• Quality Control Inspector — The inspector conducts an audit of the building to verify that all work is performed according to the work plan, specifications, and standards. He or she performs building diagnostic tests, records and reports findings and concerns, and specifies corrective actions. The inspector ensures the completion, appropriateness, and quality of the work providing for the safety, comfort, and energy savings of building occupants.
The following general categories of SME representatives are needed:
Industry — A member of the home performance or weatherization industry who is involved with production, assembling and/or distribution, or sells materials, products, systems, or services covered in the scope of the certification.
User — A contractor or other member of the industry who purchases, uses, or specifies materials, products, systems, or services covered in the scope of the certification.
General Interest — General Interest SMEs are neither Industry nor User SMEs. This category may include personnel from state or federal regulatory agencies, health/safety professionals, researchers, or personnel from trade associations or other organizations.
Candidates should have the following qualifications:
• Have subject matter expertise directly related to the relevant certification.
• Have three years of experience in the field of the relevant certification.
• Be free from any competing interest to ensure impartiality and non-discriminatory judgment.
Responsibilities of the SMEs include:
• Communicate with BPI’s Certification Management Board (CMB), Certification Scheme Committee (CSC), and BPI’s Manager of Certification Development.
• Develop test questions.
• Review psychometric data on questions and eliminate bad questions.
• Review how the tests are being performed (written and field).
• Determine if the certification is doing what it was created to do.
• Agree to sign and abide by the BPI Code of Ethics & Conduct which includes a confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement.
SME panels will convene during two work periods: Sept. 27-29 or Oct. 4-6. Those who are interested may complete the application and select the SME group they would like to be part of. If you qualify to be an SME in more than one of the defined areas, check all that apply.
The SME application form is available at www.bpi.org/files/pdf/SME_Application_82511kr1_distributed.pdf.
Fill out the application and click “Submit Form” at the top, no later than completion of business Friday, Sept. 9, 2011. If you experience problems, save the completed form and email to Kirsten Richnavsky, certification development coordinator, at email@example.com, no later than completion of business Friday, Sept. 9, 2011.
Publication date: 09/05/2011