March 30, 2004: Boiler Repair Firm Fined By OSHA For Fatal Accident
According to the federal government, last September the two workers were cleaning a 4,000-gallon oil tank. One employee was inside the tank. When the first worker did not respond to his calls, the second worker went into the tank. Both workers were said to have been overcome by fumes.
According to officials, OSHA cited Eastmond for failing to evaluate the hazardous conditions in the tank and for not providing the workers with an operating gauge to monitor fume toxicity.
The company stated that it would appeal.
Publication date: 03/29/2004